When I said to Hubby back in January "I think we should decorate the lounge" and he readily agreed, I honestly never expected it to become the huge renovation project that it has, and to still be going on in April! Initially we thought we would just paint the walls, put down new flooring and curtains/lighting etc. We liked the idea of a wall papered feature wall and maybe a new fireplace if our budget would allow.
It all started here and then we started stripping off the old wallpaper which you can read about here and see the "Before" pictures. Once we had got all the old wallpaper off we could see the room really was in a bad way and we had some decisions to make, do we try to patch the plaster up, hang lining paper, paint and hope for the best or do we get the walls and ceiling replastered and "do a proper job"? Decisions!!
We got some quotes for the work, priced up the materials and after some serious number crunching and a generous input of cash from a lovely relative we decided to go for it!!
So the old red brick fireplace was ripped out, I think my hubby enjoyed the demolition! The skirting boards and coving had to go, the horrible ceiling wall paper ripped off (why on earth did people put paper on a ceiling in the1970s & 80s??..Pointless!!)
Then, the builder/plasterer came in and quickly got started. He pulled down the old window that previous owners had put into the wall between the hall and lounge (where originally the door was), which so many visitors commented on as it looked so odd.
and replaced it with a door (yes, back to how it was orginally!)
He sorted out all the odd jobs as well, like removing old, disused wall lights, put in a new TV aerial socket as well as repairing the archway through to the dining area, which once a spirit level was used was clearly not straight!! I'm pleased to say it now is definately straight!! lol! It was a lot of work and our house resembled a building site whilst it was going on.
As this is a long post, and photo heavy I'm going to be back with part 2 over the weekend! If you've got this far, thanks for reading and have a great evening!!
4 comments:
oh how i wish decorating was straight forward - it never is for us either!! its always worth it in the end :) look forward to reading part 2.
Oh, decorating fun! If I go beyond painting, it's always turns into a big project. I've learned that if I want a change.....just paint! Your project looks great. Can't wait to see the completed photos.
Tammy
http://www.yourmemoryconnection.com
After all of that hard work it must be great to have a blank canvas, with smooth walls and straight edges, to work with. I can't wait for part 2 :) x
That always happens in our house too, every room always turns into a huge project! :)
Post a Comment